Are you a victim of age discrimination in the workplace?

When you go to work, you have the right to do your job without fear of harassment or discrimination of any kind. If you are an older employee, or older than many of your coworkers, you may find that you experience age discrimination in your place of work. This may not seem like a big deal to others, but it can take a severe mental and emotional toll on you.

You do not have to sit by and hope that this type of treatment at your California job stops at some point. Any type of discrimination is unacceptable, and you may speak up and hold liable parties accountable. You have rights, and you have the right to push back against a hostile work environment and other problems you may be experiencing.

Protections available to you

There are specific protections provided to you under the Age Discrimination in Employment Act. This is a federal act that mandates how employers can treat workers and what workers can do if they experience age discrimination. Some of the specific provisions listed in the ADEA include:

  • Employers cannot use a person’s age as a factor in making employment decisions, whether it’s hiring, firing, promotions and more.
  • Employers cannot include age requirements when advertising for an open position, unless it is a genuine prerequisite for the job.
  • Employers cannot use a person’s age as a factor when making decisions related to downsizing.
  • Employers cannot take away health benefits from older workers.
  • Employers cannot retaliate or act against an older employee for speaking out about age discrimination.

Regardless of your age or your age compared to other people in your place of work, you are still capable of adding value to your team, working hard and getting good results. If your employer is treating you unfairly and you suspect that it is because of age, you may want to act quickly to proceed with an appropriate course of legal action.

You may find significant benefit in reaching out for the assistance of an attorney who understands employment law and knows how to protect your rights. It may be appropriate for you to seek compensation for your suffering through a civil claim filed against your employer or liable parties. An assessment of your case can help you see what course of action may be most appropriate for your individual situation.

  • Archives

  • Categories

  • Recent Posts